[Tango-L] Houston Tango Festival 2009 ?

m i l e s tangobliss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:15:35 EST 2008

Hi,

For those of you who are on the festival circuit...but did NOT go....

This was a first time festival for Houston.  And I know what many of
you were thinking:

"If I go it will be small...", or

"The community isn't large enough yet so I'll wait...", or

"The quality of dance isn't going to be spectacular...", or

"The level of dancer...not so much, I should stay home", or

"Hmmm, I have *REALLY* got to sort my lint collection!".

That said...nothing could have been further from the truth!

Houston had well over 250 ppl present and it felt like it.  The floor
was packed at nearly all hours when I was there.  The classes were
full and being presided over by 1st rate and experienced teacher...It
was gender balanced (as much as one could ask for).

And best of all the administration of the event itself was
TRANSPARENT!  And thank god someone was listening, none of those nasty
tickets for entry into everything, WRIST BANDS Fixed that!  Very
efficient!

If there were cracks in the event itself, flaws, it didn't show.  This
was a well run, well organized, well thought through event that
literally put Houston Tango on the MAP!  And did it with style and
grace.

 From Local Talent composer Glover Gill's Orchestra to the spectacular
performances of all the teachers and the wonderful DJing...this was a
first class, first rate event.  I'd rate it right up there with
Denver, Portland or Seattle in the quality of the event.   Although
Houston's got to get its spectacular singularity together...by that I
mean, Seattle has its Salmon Bake, Denver has Cheseman Park, and
Portland has the Grandest Ball of all.  Houston's got to out do it
all...and somehow, knowing the festival organizers...I have a feeling,
they'll do that in spades next year.

So next year, and there will be a next year folks ... so I gather, I'd
suggest you two things...

1.) book your travel now.

2.) buy a better pair of shoes...you'll need it from all the dancing
you'll have done to you.

You won't be sorry.

Sincerely,

Miles