[Tango-L] How we learn

Tim lists at timbp.com
Tue Jan 22 06:16:38 EST 2008

'Mash wrote:
> I know we write alot about how classes should be taught but I am wondering now how we actually learn Tango.
> It would be interesting to hear from those who can still remember what it was like learning Tango for the first time.

I was just about to start a thread related to this subject when I
received this post.
One of my points was that there are two parties in a class -- the
teacher and the learner. Everyone criticises the teacher if the learner
goes away with patterns rather than technique.

I have been dancing Ceroc/modern jive for four years, and started
learning tango towards the end of last year.
Many people think of Ceroc as purely pattern (moves) based, with no true
lead and follow. Maybe that was true 20 or 10 years ago, or in other
places, but certainly in the past four years in Sydney it has been
taught as lead-follow, and I now think of it (and dance it) as an
improvisational lead-follow partner dance with the basic step being a walk.
While I will sometimes choose to lead a particular move, most of the
time I am simply responding to the music and the relative positions of
my partner, myself, and available dance floor. You could say I am doing
nothing but stepping forwards or backwards or sideways or pivoting, and
leading my partner to step forwards or backwards or sideways or pivot
(regarding a spin as an extreme pivot).
So I am comfortable with the idea of a dance being improvised
lead-follow in response to the music.

Now I am learning tango, and I like being given patterns. If I go out on
the tango dance floor thinking all I have to do is lead forward and
backward and sideward steps and pivots as the music takes me, then all I
will do is forward and backward and sideward steps and pivots. It is in
the patterns that I learn to lead my partner to turn as I step around
her, that I learn to change direction, that I learn to put forward and
backward and sideward steps and pivots together in different ways to
make something more.

At present, when I dance tango, I walk to the music or do the couple of
patterns I am comfortable with. People who watch me might criticise my
teachers for just teaching me patterns.

But I do not believe my teachers are teaching patterns. Nor do I feel I
am just learning patterns (although for the moment I may be just dancing
patterns).

However, I do believe others in my classes are only learning patterns.
And perhaps if I did not already have dance experience I too would be
only learning patterns.

For now, patterns help me learn to dance tango. Sometime soon I will
start breaking down the patterns and putting the parts together
differently (as I did for a time with Ceroc). Sometime after that I will
generally forget about patterns or their parts, and just lead my
follower according to the music and the available space.
But I don't think I can get to that point without starting with patterns.

Tim