[Tango-L] A true tango

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Mon Jan 21 04:39:34 EST 2008

I am not sure who posted Ney Melo & Jennifer Bratt originally, but thank you so much, they are great. I especially like their Poema and the lovely americanas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgbt0oD-MnA&feature=related

With all the talk about Copes recently I also had a look at youtube for Maria Nieves and found this interesting set of birthday dances including Javier Rodriguez and Gavito. Its nice to watch people just dancing for fun for a change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzwrynxHS8Q

One gap in the links I have seen so far (but now there are so many links I can not claim to have looked at every one) in my opinion is that I didn't see any great nuevo. I have a particular style of dancing in mind which I saw in BsAs last year at Viruta, Malcolm and I believe you can also see at PracticaX. The guys I saw had a particular look of sinuous power and did a whole lot of really inventive things in the Arce sort of style, but less polished and more raw and unmistakeably their own inventions. Its not Chicho, Naveira et al, those guys are also just too smooth and polished (and to be blunt too old!). Now when I think of nuevo I think of this sort of playfulness and freedom to invent. But I think you need to master the old dance first so it is still a ways off for me :-). I couldn't find any great examples of this, but found an ok example here to give you an idea of what I mean.  If anyone has a better example please post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAi--Zqa99Y

Victor Bennetts