[Tango-L] (no subject)

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sun Jan 20 09:21:00 EST 2008

> Istanbul could be the second with the quality of dance, dancers, venues
> and instructors.

I have been to Hotel Armada, Tango Jeans, Bailatango and Old City milongas
in Istanbul. Bailatango I arrived around 1am (yes, I did! And a kind couple
I asked for directions to that part of Istiklal guided and bodyguarded me
all the way there from Taksim square, about 20 minutes walk), so it was
quite empty but the dances I got were impressive. Very fast steps and very
definite, bold leads, you embrace and wheeeh- off you go, no time to think.
Next time Paul kindly took me to the Old City milonga and I had the time of
my life ! Wow ! Never met dancers like this anywhere ! Esp. when I finally
got asked to dance by a man I had been watching on the floor for two days
already, at Armada the day before too. My God,, what a tango ! The
combination of great skill, passion and manliness thrilled me. In the end a
man standing by the bar clapped wildy, cheered and called out to us:"I
watched you. You made my day, you are the best couple here !" That is when I
confessed to this Turk that I had been waiting for him to ask me since
yesterday and he smiled shyly. Love this place.
Which other milongas do you recommend, Nedret?
And by the way, Aydogan, if you read this, here finally is my chance to say
how much I love tango in Istanbul ! ; )

Hope to see you all again and meet you too, Nedret.
Astrid, Tokyo