[Tango-L] teaching technique vs. choreography

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jan 18 13:01:48 EST 2008

Jay makes some good points.

The most important point he makes is: "Beginning students are anxious
to start dancing."

This goes double for retaining the men.

Men quit tango when they are frustrated or unconfident. Complicated
patterns keep men in that frustrated, complicated mindset. It is not a
personality flaw on the part of the man; rather the teacher who
forgets the beginner mindset.

Walking a beautiful woman around the room can be taught in a one hour
class. He leaves excited, thrilled, confident, happy, successful.

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT RULE for retaining men is to recognize this,
and make sure they leave each class, each month, each workshop, each
series feeling confident and successful.