[Tango-L] Men who pull to the left

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Jan 18 11:15:26 EST 2008

Astrid wrote about men who pull to the left causing pain to
the woman.

My teacher taught me the hook step. When I take the woman to
the cross, after stepping side left, as the woman steps
backward on her left, my right foot has to go around her
right foot or I'll crash into her. HMM! Let me try again. As
I step outside her I want to stay close to her. My right
foot has to hook around her right foot, at the same time my
chest has to rotate to the right to remain facing her, even
though I'm still outside her. The next step is another hook
step where my left foot has to brush my right foot before
going forward. Men who don't use the hook step will walk to
their left because they see the woman is in their way. As
they walk to their left, they pull the woman to her right.

It gets worse on the next step. If I don't brush, my left
foot will go straight ahead, where the woman isn't, causing
the woman to twist her back even more.

Unfortunately, this is easier to show than to tell.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
If I can wake up early enough tomorrow, I'll get to NY in
time to see Zotto's tango show.

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango