[Tango-L] Two of My Teaching Pet Peeves

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 09:54:52 EST 2008

--- "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:

> TFH wrote of his two pet teaching peeves:
>
> > Find ways to teach them to have their left foot
> step in front of them
> > rather than off to the left.  They ALL do it!
> STOP THEM!
>
> That's common hereabouts in segregated class pupils.
> The guy is going left
> to avoid kicking the girl's foot. Which he's not yet
> moved because
> actually he hasn't learned to lead. Guys: spend 1hr
> with a good leader.

Sure.  But, that’s taking the responsibility away from
the teachers!
Teachers, when you see 3 leaders in your class
stepping off to the left, stop the class, point it
out, show them how to correct it and continue with
your steadfast gameplan.

===

> > Someone, PLEASE, tell me why soooo many teachers
> teach
> > young followers to s-s-s-s-stretch their leg out,
> > really far, in a backstep!!!
>
> Same again. The guy hasn't learned to lead her to
> stretch, and this
> teacher 'fixes' /her/ the only way he knows. This
> breaks the connection so
> neither guy or girl can find the natural solution
> themselves.

There IS a solution!  Teachers, when you teach about
straightening the knee in the backstep, also, teach it
with a short step.  They are NOT being taught this!

===

> > Is that the only way to teach them to have a
> straight knee and a
> > beautiful leg?  Can't they have it with a shorter
> backstep
>
> They sure can. Girls: ignore teacher. Guys: spend
> 1hr with a good leader.

Instead, Girls, ask your teacher about straightening
your leg during a short backstep.  Make your teachers
earn their money!

===

> > NEITHER of them knows how to fix that awful
> feeling of having
> > absolutely no connection.  Bounce!  Bounce!
> Bounce!
>
> Girls: spend 1hr with a good leader. Guys: spend 1hr
> with a good leader.
>
> > Almost every teacher that I have seen lets those
> things go!
>
> The teacher has no choice. These dysfunctions are
> inevitable consequences
> of the class teahcing model that couples non-dancers
> with non-dancers.

Teachers do have a choice!  When you see a number of
people doing a certain thing wrong, stop the class,
point it out, show them the correct way, and continue
the class.