[Tango-L] Tango with Children

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Fri Jan 18 00:32:14 EST 2008

My wife and I have been dancing tango for three and a half years and we have three small children aged four to ten. Obviously we love our children, but they do get in the way of our tango obsession, not to mention trips to BsAs. Does anyone else on the list have experience of discharging obligations as a parent while dancing socially twice to three times a week? We have a great babysitter (next door neighbour's daughter) but she is getting to the age where she might not want the work any more and now she has a job she isn't always available.  We have tried bringing them to practicas but that is usually a complete disaster. Plus our trip to BsAs last year used up whatever small child care capital we had remaining with the respective grandparents. Does anyone have any clever strategies that they can suggest we use to get us to the point where the oldest child can take over the caring duties (although I guess by that stage he may be off drinking beer with his mates anyway and not interested in looking after his sisters)?
Are their any other parents of young kids out there who have managed to successfully combine raising little children and their tango obsession? We would love to hear about your experiences and whether they have shown any interest in learning tango as well, because ours are resolutely refusing to despite (or perhaps because of) complete tango immersion.

Victor Bennetts