[Tango-L] Followers Large BackStep - Was Pet Peeves

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 23:32:48 EST 2008

I wasn't clear when I said this:

> Someone wrote to me:
>
> They spend a lot of time teaching followers to
> extend their leg, in
> doing a backstep.
>
> Someone, PLEASE, tell me why soooo many teachers
> teach
> young followers to s-s-s-s-stretch their leg out,
> really far, in a backstep!!!

What I meant to say is ...

I see plenty of newer followers take huge backsteps
when they are not led.  When I ask why they are doing
that they say, "That's what my teacher said to do."

Yes, they should learn to have a beautifully straight
leg.  But, they should know, right up front, to also
do that when a short step is led.  Otherwise, newer
leaders will really have their hands full.

To tell you the truth, I have danced with teachers who
look great dancing, but, when I lead small steps, they
don't take small steps.  I guess they want to dance
alone!  :o\  We don't dance very often!