[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- conversation between dances

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 14:25:01 EST 2008

Let’s assume that, based on a previous thread, the
“successful” teacher is the one who learns complicated
coreography so that they can have “interesting” things
to keep the attention of leaders and maintain a large
class or community.

That is, a successful teacher is one who maintains a
large class.

Given that, basing this discussion on coreography is
fine.  And, following that, all of your discussions on
whether leaders and followers should be together or
seperated is natural.  Go team!

---

However, in my opinion, a good teacher teaches
technique first and coreography as a side-effect.
Given that, there are definite reasons for leaders to
have the followers in front of them or not.  Even
further, there are definite reasons for leaders to be
in contact with the follower who is in front of them.

As one example, a leader advances much faster by
learning followers technique (and other techniques ...
remember, this is just one example) than by getting
their head overloaded with steps or coreo.

Now, if we create a long list of techniques to base a
class on, then, we could have a discussion on whether
leaders should be seperated from the followers, etc.

I just wanted to point out that you are discussing
where a leader should be in a class based on a class
being based on coreo.  That is only one type of class.

Again, to be clear, I see definition evolving out of
this thread, with nice detail.  However, it only
pertains to a certain type of teaching.  Different
teaching styles require different finite details.