[Tango-L] Dance/Language Acquisition

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 14:25:19 EST 2008

  Just as most language classes have nothing to do with language fluency, most dance classes have nothing to do with dance fluency, Both tend to look more like a frustrating attempt  to read engineering schematics. I say that both areas of 'education' SLOW DOWN the progress of the students, teach them BAD HABITS, and erect barriers that they will be hard put to solve in the future....in other words the last thing that 'education' wants to see are students that are fluent in their language/dance and 'students' that don't need more classes. I'm not saying that this is the conscious intention of the teaching industry but it sure is their product.
There is an alternative to this mess. I hold that 'fluency' is best learned by practising 'fluency' and not by splitting the dance/language up into tiny conceptualized pieces to be examined, practised out of context and later re combined (with music) to form a beautiful whole...this is not going to happen.
 My experience in the language arts shows me that most students who go on to fluency do not really know and are not aware of how they have attained that fluency.
I am also an oils painter. I am used to the withering criticism that comes from the painting community and I see that same competition here on Tango-L in spades. Well, I'm not afraid of it. I have 25 years experience in the theory and practise of language acquistion. I see it's relevance in Tango acquisition and I have something to say about it. If you don't like that, tough.
I'm already receiving hate mail saying that I'm claiming to have 'mastered' the Milonga.  My Milonga ability brings me lots of fun and smiles on the faces of my partners. That's a good enough mastery for me at this point.  I can't say the same about my Tango dancing after four months of lessons. I'm sure that someone out there can relate to this. If not, so what.   sincerely Mario