[Tango-L] Milonga rhythms

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 18:46:50 EST 2008

Was it Janis or Steven who wrote:

> There are two rhythms in milonga:
>
> 1) double rhythm -- two steps in two beats of music; and
> 2) triple rhythm (called traspie) -- three steps in two beats of music (like
> a triple step in swing).

I'm not a trained musician, except for piano lessons as a pre-teen, but the three steps/notes in two beats sounds like what I remember being called a "triplet" in musical notation. For the life of me I don't think I've ever heard such a thing in tango, except rarely, and certainly not to an extent to justify its being a description of a class of milonga songs. OTOH I have heard and seen a lot of traspie done to double-time or half-beats or (incorrectly but popularly called) synchopation. In this mode, you've got 4 notes/steps in two beats.

I'd be interested in some examples of milongas that use triplets with three steps/notes in two beats.

         TangoMoments.com