[Tango-L] Milonga

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 15:21:36 EST 2008

--- Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, here is my Milonga Playlist on Youtube:
> http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=258B1FD6C731EA19
> 16 Milonga videos.. ...the first one is pf Hugo Daniel
> doing his Milonga moves alone in front of a class..

Mario:
I couldn't access your playlist, but I assume this is the
video you're referring to of Hugo Daniel.  It is fun to
watch.  Thanks for sharing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGUfq77q0e4

Martin:
I'm curious as to whether the women you're referring to
tend toward open or close-embrace or have no preference.
The reason I'm asking is that in my own studies and
observations, doing traspie is more difficult if a woman
studies open-embrace, but it is much easier if she studies
close-embrace.  Years ago, when my teachers would travel to
NYC, they would come back and teach milonga caminita.  Back
then, everything was open-embrace.  Until folks started
working on close-embrace did traspie start to work for them
(both men & women).

Also, regarding a basic milonga caminita pattern, there are
some teachers (such as Fecundo Pasadas) who do 2,4,6, or 8
count patterns.  These are basically a forward step &
close, resolucion, box steps, and salida basica.
Musically, it's one step per beat.  They are also done is a
zigzag pattern, so navigation is another issue. Perhaps
this is what the follower was talking about.  Traspie
doesn't figure much into this initially, and is often seen
as more advanced.  You will often see milonga workshops
divided in levels in this way.

For those starting out with milonga traspie in close, there
are no patterns to memorize.  It's more of a question of
catching the rhythm.  Navigation can be done in a straight
line.  For these folks, traspie isn't viewed as advanced.
For some it would be challenging, as any new step would be,
but not advanced.

This could account for some of our different observations.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/