[Tango-L] tango pedagogy

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 13:26:27 EST 2008

<<<Today, we have teachers that organize classes and we
pay them.  Back then, they had teachers (each other)
and just because they weren't publically announced
classrooms with fees, we don't consider them as
teachers?

So, if Charles teaches me and I teach Charles and we
don't put fliers out on the tables at milongas, then
we didn't have teachers?  Hmmmm.....>>>

Good point.   Tango pedagogy as we know it didn't exist in those days. You
learned from your peers. My first dance is swing which I never actually studied
as a kid in the fifties (now you all know my age, in case you were curious!).
My sister and I danced at home to rock and roll and rhythm and blues records
that my mother had. We went to the record hops and high school dances and
learned from each other, copying steps from other couples...and we won some dance
contests!
We all put so much stock in studying tango with certified teachers that we
forget that it was just a part of everyday life to those who danced it in Buenos
Aires, so it was very likely that many people did not actually have tango
teachers. Having a teacher does not make you a tango dancer and you can see that
at every milonga you go to. :-o !

Charles