[Tango-L] men dancing with men

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Fri Jan 11 10:55:14 EST 2008

Being an armchair sociologist with no direct experience in Argentine
history or culture (how's that for a refreshingly honest disclaimer ;D)
I would observe one other thing.

In most older European derived cultures, women were to be courted and
everyone had their role to play in such exchanges. This often meant
limited and very circumscribed interactions between men and women. This
was especially true in BA where, if census figures are correct from the
period, the ratio of men to women was badly skewed. If the men were to
impress with their dancing, it was probably a relief to practice with
other men since they could actually focus on the technique rather than
having all the social baggage they would otherwise have to attend to. In
the US/UK men have a lot of contact anxiety that other cultures do not,
so they tend to view this topic with a good deal of alarm. Also, because
men back then would probably only get a few minutes for their tanda with
their prospective paramour, it had to be perfect. Experimentation with
the dance to make it more impressive (pretty sure they would have done
that back then just like the singles on the prowl do it today -- after
all, we lack plumage...). Such practice would also have been easier with
guys who were in the same boat and consequently more forgiving of
errors, miss -steps etc.. As it is now it was back than: The man
proposes, the woman disposes.

Women often completely misunderstand how stressful it can be for guys to
interact with them. My experiences with other cultures where there are
still strong divisions between men and women have shown me that most of
the courtship rituals, arranged marriages and such protect the man from
direct rejection as much as anything else. I would suspect that men
practicing with men was a much safer bet from this point of view. In any
case, we should be wary of projecting our own gender issues (and agendas
too, I might add) onto another culture -- and BA in 1900 was a bona fide
different culture from today.

And I could be wrong...

$.02

Jeff G