[Tango-L] Popularity of Milonga (the dance)

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 16:13:38 EST 2008

"I mean how come there are not Milonga clubs that predominantly
   play Milongas rather then normal break from the Tangos?"

  Probably for the same reason that there aren't "Two Step Clubs" ,
  but there are country western dance places where you get not only
  two step, but waltz, Cowboy Cha Cha, Night Club Two Step, West
  Coast Swing, lines dances, etc.
  .
  And, although I'm not a regular at any salsa venues, I think they
  don't just play salsa, but also play marengue.

  I've even heard that at waltz and West Coast Swing venues, they play
  non waltz, and songs that people don't do WCS to.

  If they played only tango at tango events, I probably wouldn't attend.
  I enjoy the variety that both milonga and vals create. I can only
  assume that other people enjoy the variety, too.

  Regarding this statement...
  "I struggle to get into the intense melancholic(ness) of Tango.
  No number of embellishments seem to help :)"
  I keep reading about dancing with women who feel like they aren't
  there (sorry, are light), and I believe that is the crux of the problem.

  You stay on your own axis, and I'll stay on mine.
  If there is no intensity in the connection between the two partners
  when dancing to a tango, what is there?

  And, regarding milonga in close embrace as being confining...
  It ain't necessarily so. In fact, I can burn up a lot of floor, and no
  doubt a lot of calories, when there is a milonga and there is room
  to move. But then, I like to go apilado, which keeps the feet apart,
  and "energizes the embrace", rather than the more "on your own
  axis" close embrace. And, I treat it more as a one step, "splitting
  the steps" only when the musicians play prominently on the usually
  unemphazied beats of the 2/4 time signature.