[Tango-L] Question on Gardel

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 14:37:49 EST 2008

Amaury & Chris

The popular misconception re Gardel is well
illustrated by Chris's contribution. But the real
reason you cannot dance to Gardel is due to his very
peculiar approach to rhythm. He use a very individual
form of rubato [push & pull] resulting in the same
beat being in two different places in time, a fraction
of a second apart. Furthermore he does this using a
lot of anticipation. This creates much dramatic
tension in the music.
Delayed rubato dancers can cope with to some extent,
but anticipated rubato makes them look like idiots,
and whatever they do, they will feel, & look, out of
time [unless, of course, they are totally
insensitive.....].
Gardel did to the tango what Chopin did to the waltz,
mazurka, polonaise &c...: he made it undanceable. If
you try to dance to a Chopin waltz played with the
right kind of rubato [say by Rubinstein] you will keep
getting lost, but the music will be wonderful.
However, you would be able to dance to it if some
incompetent plodder plays it squarely on the beat [as
they often do in dance studios....] but the music
would be diabolically flat & boring.
Indeed, what is traditionally -and again, erroneously-
portrayed as the champion of "concert hall tango",
Astor Piazzolla, is 100X more danceable than Gardel
-especially for beginners!

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew W. RYSER SZYMAÑSKI,