[Tango-L] rose in mouth, singlehandedly from one film?

Anne Adams atlanna at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 10 13:21:42 EST 2008

Michael wrote:
> The "silly head snap" is part of International style tango.
> This style is used in competitive ballroom competitions. The
> social tango style, sometimes called American, doesn't have
> any head snaps. In the competitive style, the couples aren't
> allowed to separate but they can in American.
>
> I'm guessing the snap is used to impress judges. I don't
> dance International style because I don't want to give
> myself whiplash.

The 'head snap' is a result of the leader suddenly changing direction.
It's not an isolated head movement, but actually more a side-product
due to the leader-initiated change in the follower's body position ...
in some respects like a boleo of the head ;)

  From the leader's perspective it requires skill and the right timing
to make it happen, and works better when the follower is relaxed.
If I remember correctly it's a slightly circular motion, and in my
experience not as whiplashy as it appears :)

  I suppose it can be (or is) also done by the follower for
embellishmental purposes, but I cannot speak to that..

~Anne