[Tango-L] Popularity of Milonga (the dance)

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Thu Jan 10 09:13:12 EST 2008

> From: 'Mash <mashdot at toshine.net>
> From what I understand and correct me if I am wrong, Tango through evolutionary processes was born out of Milonga.
>
> My query is how come Milonga appears to be left as an almost side note to Tango. I mean how come there are not Milonga clubs that predominantly play Milongas rather then normal break from the Tangos?
>
> I am thinking in terms of comparing it to Salsa and Salsa clubs, is there such a thing a Milonga that just plays Milongas?
>
> And moreso one wonders why Tango became more popular then it's energetic parent.
>
> 'Mash
> London,UK

I have recieved a few replies about my first line (born out of) but nothing yet on my actual question. I am going to try and ask a few people this weekend.

To be more clear, I am wondering why the predominant dance is Tango and not Milonga?
That the faster and more energetic dance seems to have a backseat to Tango. Last night I started looking around for videos on Milonga and it can easily be seen that Tango content far outweighs Milonga.

I just wonder what it is about Milonga that makes it less attractive as a dance form in it's own right and that you don't tend to meet people who prefer it over Tango. And why if my guess is correct that there is no such thing as a pure Milonga night in the world.

'Mash
London,UK