[Tango-L] tango schizophrenia

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 08:16:33 EST 2008

> That is really good advice TFH, but those things are
> all about dancing well, not about developing your
> own particular style (whatever that might mean). If
> you are aspiring to develop an individual style, I
> think it is assumed you can already dance tango
> confidently.
>
> Victor Bennetts

Actually, I have always been told, since those
lessons, that I have a style of soft tango that noone
else has (in the places that I have danced).  So, I
was trying to relate that my style really did emerge
from finding the right teachers and working on what I
wanted.  Well, except for the second teacher who was
one of those geniuses (not just in tango) that you
come across once in a great while.  So, anything that
he said, I wanted to hear.

I already danced well before the lessons.  But, I
AFTER those lessons, followers always comment on my
style.

I am proud that my followers comment on how balanced
they are and the exactness of my lead.  That came from
my first set of lessons.

I know that I am free from thinking in terms of
patterns.  That was distinctly from my second set of
lessons.

I am extremely happy that I receive comments about the
softness of my tango.  That was, most definitely, from
my third set of lessons.

So, my advice about developing your own style is to
find the greatest tango minds that you can, shell out
the bucks, put your chest on theirs in private
lessons, and do what they say!

Those lessons were close to 10 years ago.  Good close
embrace private lessons definitely do have a lasting
effect.

... Actually, I if it is nuevo tango, exchange of lead
and follow, or something of that nature that you want,
then maybe the close embrace aspect wouldn't apply.  I
am just saying that I developed the style that I
wanted through these lessons.  The original posting
asked for examples.