[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance/Advertising for men

rockies@comcast.net rockies at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 20:08:59 EST 2008

I sent a private reply to TFH, but he suggested it was probably worth sharing with the group, so here it is.

Yup, therein lies the rub with advertising. Women
often look at other women and evaluate them, especially if they are beautiful. Look at women's
magazines, when they are advertising for beauty products, they will show beautiful women in the ads.
The association for women is that if they use that product, they will be as beautiful as the model in
the photo. Men too are attracted by models (although unlike women, will NOT look at photos of other men
and make the association that the product will make them look as good as 'him,' they simply don't care
to compare to other men), but the subject matter is not compelling enough with the way you have worded
it.  You might want to consider running your ad with wording like this-

Single Men: Would you like to meet attractive single women? Come to our Argentine Tango classes

-in a very male dominated magazine and STILL keep the photo of the model. *Then* you will get the
response from only men. So... maybe put it in a car magazine (if you had lots of cash). Alternatives
would be  Autotrader type magazines, or on bulletin boards at motorcycle/powerboat
sales rooms, mens locker rooms at the gym, locker rooms in colleges (hand some out to the players), mens bathrooms where they have the cork boards above the, er, facilities, etc.

I agree with Eron, there is a stereotype, especially in North America that dancing is not for real men. Rather, sports are thought of as a manly activity. However, the overall allure of meeting available women WILL outweigh for most men the stereotypical view of the activity. Sex sells, as Eron said, and, therefore, so does the opportunity to meet available women. The retention rate in the community of these men may be low, but even if it's 10% there will still be 10% more men than were available before. I think men in North American don't realize how much women universally love to dance. It is extremely rare that a woman doesn't like to dance. Changing the stereotype is quite difficult, but targeted advertising may do just that, eventually.

Cheers!

Randy