[Tango-L] tango schizophrenia

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Fri Jan 4 14:12:43 EST 2008

And now for something completely different.  Cant recall seeing this
discussed.
How does one move past mimicking influential icons and into the realm of
developing a unique personal style in tango, or any other art form? How
do you contribute something new to the tango?
I am severely afflicted with split personality. I want to dance Disarli
like Gustavo, Darienzo like Chicho, Piazzola and alternative music like
Sebastian, Pugliese like Osvaldo,  Vals like Julio, and Milonga like
Javier.   Help!!  Is anyone ever anything but a mixed soup of those
artists they admire most? How do you break free ?  Is it a futile and
maddening pursuit of perfection if you are not blessed with genius or
world class talent?