[Tango-L] Suggested Leads

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 11:59:51 EST 2008

I would like to get away from my original post and
propose these questions:

1. Do you think a suggested lead exists in tango?

1a. If not, why not?

1b. If yes, what is your definition of a suggested
lead?

2. If you think there is a suggested lead, could you
provide an example of a suggested lead?

HERE ARE MY ANSWERS:

1. Yes

1b. I believe that, most of the time, we as leaders,
determine a direction and feel for a movement and use
cues to suggest that our follower begins her movement.
 Then, we move in concert through that movement,
generally, desiring to not get ahead of her through
that movement, unless the move calls for "getting
ahead of the follower".

A beginner leader is often told to not step before the
follower.  Thus, the three stages of a step as
presented in many classes: I suggest, she steps, I
step.  This is a rudimentary concept presented for
beginners.

2. I provided an example in my previous post.

I expect to see much better representations than my
1b.  I just wanted to get the ball rolling and don't
have a lot of time to spend thinking through wording
it correctly, at this time.

By the way, a different topic might be "Why it is bad
to tell beginner leaders not to step before the
follower".