[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- leaving the floor at the end of a tanda

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Tue Jan 1 10:43:56 EST 2008

After reading Carol's e-mail, it sounds like MI is a lot like my tango
community. We generally don't wait for a tanda to end before changing
partners for the same reason - a shortage of leads.  As our community
grows, it's changing a little. The shortage of leads is also one of the
reasons I have learned to lead. Too many women were were sitting too
long - including me :). Buffalo is a very friendly tango community -
everyone dances. The most experienced and best dancers always take time
to walk a beginner around the floor, and all the leads are very
conscious of who has or hasn't been dancing through out the evening.
When I visit other tango communities, I have noticed that this is not
always the case.

I don't like leaving a follower (or being left by a lead) in the middle
of the floor. When I do lead, I always bring my partner at least to the
edge of the dance floor near where she has been sitting. It's the rare
follower who will "snarf" a lead who is still on the floor (love that
word)...but I have seen it happen in other communities.

barbra

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango. Thanks!