[Tango-L] Posting & open discussion on Tango-

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sat Feb 23 08:46:29 EST 2008

Tom is right in the description of movement.  Ten years ago or all
entradas into a partner's step were regarded as displacements of the
axis were and called sacadas because tango did not have as much of a
ed language as it does now.  Later, there was a distinction made
between entradas and sacadas, where la entrada is walking into a step
without interrupting the turn, and la sacada is a displacement on the
back step interrupting the direction of the turn.  In the turn, the
actual entrada into the step of the woman is not a displacement of
her axis.   It is just a turn as any other for her.  She does not
have to do anything except dance the turn.  With la sacada, this is
no longer so.  The turn is interrupted.  So this is the difference
between "entering" a step that would happen anyways, vs. "taking
away" the movement, or a step, or a direction.

NIna