[Tango-L] The basic 8 count (8CB)

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Fri Feb 22 18:23:16 EST 2008

Hello Subscribers,

I really don't understand this antipathy toward the 8CB.  Many posts on
this thread and others (e.g. Why teachers use the (D)8CB(WBS) (15 Apr
2003 ), Breaking the "paso basico (12 Feb 2008)) express a visceral
disgust for the 8CB that mystifies me.  The consensus opinion of these
posts seems to be that the 8CB is an overlearned pattern with a primacy
effect that makes it difficult to overcome.

Let me tell you what I think the 8CB is supposed to be (as I did on a
recent thread), and then I'll return to this point about getting away
from it.

I have been doing partner dancing for over 20 years covering such
dances as swing, salsa, waltz, samba, quick step, foxtrot, hustle, cha
cha, rumba, bolero, nightclub two-step, besides tango.  I have never
heard any instructor in any of the hundreds of classes I've taken say
that you must commit the basic step to memory as a pattern.  The basic
step for any dance is taught as a way to learn and practice the
elemental moves of the dance.  That's it!  On occasion, I have heard
professional dancers say that they use the basic step during their
rehearsals a warm-up.  So yes, the basic step may be overlearned, but
that's good!

Basic steps are not necessarily easy; they are just elemental.  So if
one cannot do the basic step(s) well, one probably cannot dance the
dance well.

The 8CB in tango is useful for several reasons.  As I said in a
has assigned counts.  These counts are used to identify the landmark
positions (e.g. 3 and 5) in much the same way as ballet positions are
numbered. I know I'm not the only one who has heard a tango instructor
say, "Alright, everybody get into 5!"  In fact, I've heard this kind of
phrase used on numerous occasions by different instructors.  If one
does not know what "5" means, one is lost.

Another valuable use of the 8CB is that one may assume that everyone
doing the dance has at least some knowledge of it.  So when I'm dancing
with a new, unfamiliar partner, I almost always start the dance with a
version of the 8CB just to gage her level.  Once I do that, I rarely
return to it; at least I know where we stand.

Now about breaking away from the 8CB.  First, let me say that whatever
pattern is learned first probably will be overused.  That is the
primacy effect.  As a beginner who initially learns ochos or walking
will almost certainly be an ocho or walking freak.  The obvious reason
is that with a limited dance vocabulary one can do only what one knows.
 The point is that the 8CB is not the bad guy.

This inference suggests the key to breaking away from whatever one's
trying to break away from: increase the dance vocabulary.  So by
learning more moves, one will rely less on the initial pattern.  This
process may not be easy, but it is the only way I know to achieve dance
proficiency.

Bob