[Tango-L] No dancing before the music

doug@swingfusion.com doug at swingfusion.com
Wed Feb 20 22:48:45 EST 2008

<anton>You have labeled Tango "classic tango". To me there is Tango or non
Tango.
</anton>

Anton:

Defining the dance strictly by the music creates a very slippery slope.
Tell me - what is tango?  Is it only OT Victor and the Old Guard?  Does it
move forward in time to D'Arienzo (who still played a lot of 2/4 time just
as did the old guard)?  What about the Golden Age orchestras that played
primarily in 4/4 rather than 2/4?  Perhaps tango only means Old Guard and
Golden Age?  What about D'Arienzo of the '50s?  Or later years DiSarli. On
what day did they quit playing tango and start playing non-tango?  Piazzolla
was a bandoneon player in Troilo's orchestra.  Did he play tango when he
played with Triolo?  And on what day did Piazzolla quit playing tango?  Etc.
I don't get black and white.