[Tango-L] Beginners and milongas

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Sun Feb 17 23:55:37 EST 2008

If step-counting is widespread, it must be a European and/or American phenomena
because I've rarely come across it in BsAs. However, some teachers do use count
numbers in the 8CB to identify certain positions, such as the 2 and the 5. Gavito for
example always did this and would teach how to go directly from the 2 to the 5, for
example.

As with every other dance, when a teacher is counting he should always be counting
the music. Obvious examples are the basic figures in Rumba and Cha Cha, which are
counted ...2, 3,4,1 [over 3 steps] and 2,3,4&1 [over 5 steps] respectively. As the
counts start on 2 and end on 1, they're obviously not counting steps. The count in
Tango should be 1 to 8 because that's how the music is usually phrased. 1 to 4 also
works sometimes. When I teach the Resolution, I tell the students that this should
only be danced when it matches the 6,7,8 count in the musical phrase.

The count of 1 to 8 in Tango is important for beginners because it helps them to
understand the music and teaches them some musicality from the very first lesson.
I have many basic walking figures for beginners that utilise this count of 1-8 and
beginners are encouraged to switch between them as they practice. But it's the
music being counted, not the steps.

For example, the Salida .... LF side, collect RF and pause, RF forward ... has 2 steps
but would be counted 1,2,3 ...

Keith, HK

 On Mon Feb 18  8:44 , "Chris, UK"  sent:

 If any DIC teacher here