[Tango-L] Please don't help me!

David Hodgson DHodgson at TangoLabyrinth.com
Sat Feb 16 15:23:35 EST 2008

Hey Tim:
Good post, I think your getting it.

In answer to your question, try this:
As a Lead marking the step the Follow takes.
Listening to the response the Follow gives.

Just give it a try and run with it, with out any expectations.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: tango-l-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:tango-l-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of
Tim
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 6:40 PM
To: Tango-L
Subject: [Tango-L] Please don't help me!

Please excuse the following rant; I just need to vent some frustrations. :-)

******

At a recent class, through the vagaries of rotation, I spent most of the
time paired with a very helpful follower.
When I tried to lead the pattern we had been shown, she very helpfully
did her steps exactly as taught.
When I tried to lead something slightly different, she very helpfully
did her steps exactly as taught.
When I tried to lead the pattern we had been shown, she very helpfully
did her steps exactly as taught.
When I tried to lead something slightly different, she very helpfully
did her steps exactly as taught, and she very helpfully backled me
through the correct steps.

I have heard many times that Argentine tango is very different to any
other dance. At that recent class, I realised just how true that is. In
every other dance I have tried, the follower's steps vary according to
what the leader does. Tango is the only dance I have tried in which the
follower's step are identical regardless of what I do.

On a related question, in browsing various sites and discussions about
tango, I often read about a good lead being necessary. Why is a good
lead necessary? After all, the follower's steps do not change in any way
with the lead.

******