[Tango-L] Osvaldo Centeno -- his exhibition in El Beso duringEncuentro Tango Milonguero

peterwesser peterwesser at oregonducks.org
Sat Feb 16 13:59:51 EST 2008

Dubravko, I agree with your observation and assessment.
The couple's names are Raquel and Osvaldo (another Osvaldo than Janice
mentioned), and I haven't found out their family name. They do not
teach, they are not in the tango business. They simply dance for
themselves and have done so for the proverbial 60 years or so. I have
seen them for some years at the milongas just doing their thing and
doing it beautifully.
For me, their milonga was the highlight of the performances that night.
This shows that you don't have to be young, beautiful and svelte to
dance social tango exquisitely -- no hooks no kicks, just "plain" sooo
with the music dancing.
Happy tangos to ya'll,
Peter

night in El Beso. He has never done an exhibition because he dances for
himself, not an audience.

>That explains it to some extent. He did not look to be in a mood to
dance at all. He looked busy, tired, working hard. I mean the dance was
good, but the impression was that something was wrong. Plus he left Ana
Maria in the middle of the floor, both times, returning to his table
quickly and leaving Ana Maria to go to her table by herself. Not a very
good example for many of us attending Milongueando 2008.

>The high point for me was the dance of the elderly couple toward the
end of the demo set who danced several dances including a milonga. I
think they danced to "El Acomodo" which was absolutely fabulous. I wish
I could remember their names. Perhaps Janis would know.