[Tango-L] beginners and milonga

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Fri Feb 15 12:57:50 EST 2008

Interesting.

When I learned D8CB tango from Ray Hogan and Amy Calio in Detroit 10
years ago (open frame), after about 3-4 months, the next dance on the
agenda was milonga.  Difficulty was very clearly presented as tango,
milonga, vals.  We didn't even get to vals until level 3.

Milonga was introduced as 6CB paso basico and after some time we got a
few variation steps, one titled along the lines of 'paso borracho' and
something else I functionally describe as sideways traveling ochos.
None of these were small steps, they were ballroom sized steps.  And
milonga was characterized as always "one step per beat".  Maybe this was
to simplify it for our rudimentary abilities but it was presented as a
stylistic dictate that separated the look and feel of the dances.

Vals had the tiniest steps of all of them by far, and fast back ochos in
3 were encouraged (but difficult, and treacherous on a crowded floor.
Actually all of the milonga/vals we learned was treacherous on a crowded
floor.  But incredibly exuberant and fun on a non-crowded floor.)

CS

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

contract corporate counsel for creative companies