[Tango-L] Wiggles

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Wed Feb 13 13:28:13 EST 2008

Interesting, Nina. Do you say this because of the reaction of follows that
you lead? (assuming you lead) Or are you saying this because so many of your
female friends have complained to you about this in their dances with
others? Are they local to your area, or have you heard this in other places
you've danced? Are they women you talk to in milongas or in classes?

I lead "wiggles" quite a bit, and they are one of the most requested move
for women to ask me to teach to men. However, they are not easy to lead, as
the timing has to be right on or they don't feel good at all. And some women
(especially those who are new and/or anticipate a lot) cannot follow them -
they are too far ahead of the leader or are not relaxed. But it has been my
experience that a well-timed (and well-lead) "wiggle" increases connection
and is great for the music.

Misses a bunch of music? One of the differences I notice most between
dancing in BsAs and elsewhere is the pauses. As one of my students who came
with me to BA said "It's all about the pauses...." I learned the wiggle
following on the dancefloor in BA (where I learned most of what is truly
valuable in my dancing).  I like it!

Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN