[Tango-L] Breaking the 'paso basico.'

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed Feb 13 12:05:20 EST 2008

The legends told in 1996, dating back to 1983, had it that 8CB was
invented in the spirit of balloom dances to give AT a point of
reference where to start, when no one seemed to be able to find any
other point of reference for the improvisational nature of
tango.  Stage has influenced that a lot as well, as modern dancers
tried to figure out what this dance was when it returned to
popularity in the early 80s.

Following the history of development of certain movements in tango,
another legend told that the cross was invented in the late
30s/early40s as an entrance into the turns, which became complicated
as the music has changed with two prominent orchestras.

When dancers began to look closer at the improvisational nature of
tango, it became clear that there is no basic step, only fundamental
principles, such as crossed and parallel relationship to the woman's
feet, and a few conventions, such as the cross and the sequence of
the woman's steps in the turns.

Teaching an 8CB is alright, ecxcept that it is a slow and very
old-fashioned way of teaching and dancing.  It is not as efficient as
teaching can be when focused on basic principles instead of combinations.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Nina