[Tango-L] Breaking the "paso basico."

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Tue Feb 12 08:35:45 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:44:00PM +0000, Chris, UK wrote:
> 'Mash London,UK wrote:
>
> > "paso basico." ... I really wish I never learnt the damn pattern
>
> Wow. I didn't know there was still anyone in London teaching that kind of
> thing.
>
> > I just want to know if anyone knows any brain washing techniques to rid
> > me of this?
>
> The first thing to do is to switch away from the so-called teacher that
> brainwashed you into it.
>
> When choosing a replacement, look for a teacher that is primarily a social
> rather than stage dancer, and who teaches inprovisation rather than
> rote-learned sequences.
>
> --
> Chris

This is not a reflection on my current teachers but on my first 2 months experiance of Tango a year ago.
To be honest I know noone who when starting Tango is not taught the "paso basico" in some form or another.

You fall back onto what you know the best and this basic step sequence must have been etched into my head when I first started learning. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever experianced this and how they broke out of the sequence.

'Mash
London,UK