[Tango-L] Breaking the "paso basico."

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Tue Feb 12 06:19:04 EST 2008

I am getting frustrated with myself at the moment as I have discovered my first nasty Tango habit.

I have found that when I am nervous my mind blanks itself of any variation in steps and defaults to the "paso basico."
The worst thing about this is that I automatically resolve on eight totally ruining flow of the dance. I really wish I never learnt the damn pattern as I am really struggling to break out of it.

The first thing I am trying to do to break this is to lead an "americana" (I believe that is what it is called when you resolve by leading a backwards ocho on your side step.) But personally I don't like to think in terms of "resolving" as I feel it creates unnecessary pauses in thought and dance.

I just want to know if anyone knows any brain washing techniques to rid me of this?

'Mash
London,UK