[Tango-L] Let's discuss WALKING

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Tue Feb 12 05:52:59 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:59:45AM -0800, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> Another aspect is how the leg extends forward.  One can
> extend simply using the upper thigh muscles (the ones used
> in marching), but it's inelegant.  I prefer the contrabody
> rotation of the spine that rotates the hip forward and
> begins the leg extension.
>
> Trini de Pittsburgh

I have been told this recently and it has really sunken in.
When you extend you leg it is the other leg that then provides the force to move, the extended leg is "relaxed" and gets pushed by the other leg. You only extend and then relax rather then pushing the extended leg forwards as you move with your other leg.

Your left leg extends forward and then remains "relaxed" as your right leg takes the weight and moves you forward onto your left leg. Thus you right leg pushs/glides your left foot across the floor until your weight is moved over from the right to left leg.

Thinking like this has really made an improvement in my weight and axis control.

'Mash
London,UK