[Tango-L] Kizomba & Canyengue together at last....

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Feb 5 19:33:49 EST 2008

The rivers of culture often divide far back in time. They may meet
again, but sometimes it is just morphological coincidence.

 From all these videos, Kizomba seems more closely related to salsa
and african club dancing than it is to tango.

African club music got back to Lisbon following the collapse of the
Portuguese colonial empire. I saw some awesome african music in Lisbon
nightclubs in the mid-eighties. Not like any of the other afro-pop
stuff, like King Sunny Ode.

Kwende Lima's accent is totally portuguese, rather than Brazilian.
Very odd to my ears, as the Brazilian is so musical and the portuguese
so chopped-up and like Spain spanish. This suggests to me that he is
of Portuguese African heritage, meaning that he might know kizomba,
but would never have known canyengue, unless he learned it via tango.

He clearly knows some tango. In that videos he does ochos, sandwiches
and other specifically tango elements. Frankly, I think he is
combining his knowledge of Kizomba and tango to make a show, something
new.

I mean, you've got people mixing west-coast swing (R&B music) with
tango. Sure, both dances have african roots, but it is a bit
reductionist to claim that the connecting thread is African. The
direct connecting thread comes from a few dancers (or maybe a single
dancer... guess who?) in the US in the 1990s who knew both dances.