[Tango-L] skipping the one

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 06:43:43 EST 2008

--- On Mon, 12/22/08, skindance <skindance at juno.com> wrote:

> the one is "held", NOT skipped, shaken or
> stirred. Musicians must have
> rolled their eyes as they thought of music starting on 4, 3
> or even 2.

Good point.  As a follower, it would feel awkward to me if the 1 wasn't marked in some way, whether it was a step, suspension, freeze, or something.  I don't think Martin or Jay meant to ignore it altogether.  So I can see a purposeful hold on 1 and a step on the syncopa to emphasize the syncopa.  However, I'm not particularly inspired by that small segment of Gustavo & Giselle.  I'm not hearing it the same way they are.

Trini de Pittsburgh