[Tango-L] Double time

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 22:41:20 EST 2008

Warning - if you're only in the "feel and move" camp and don't care for thinking, hit your delete key.

--- On Sun, 12/21/08, Jay Rabe <jayrabe at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > If, however, the man changes his weight at 12 & 3,
> and steps out for the ocho at 12, then he is dancing a
> syncopated rhythm.
> >

> Isn't it that if he dances on the 12 & 3, he's
> doing the synchopa?

Yes, it really only takes the 12 (left foot) & 3 (right foot) to do the syncopa.  I added stepping out on 12 (left foot) to help complete the picture.

If he dances on the 6 and the 6,
> he's dancing synchopated.

Yes, since that would be skipping the 12 (or the strong beat of 1), but I don't see why anyone would do that.  Got any examples?

I've been reviewing Norman's link to Gustavo & Giselle (http://public.me.com/natiber) again.  I think my earlier analysis was off.  I now think that at 39 seconds, the following was happening.

piano:  milonga rhythm
other instruments:  pause (not syncopa)
Gustavo: milonga rhythm

However, at 35 seconds, Gustavo matches the syncopa of one the instruments (the absence of beats).  This is similar to what he does at 25-26 seconds. Any thoughts?

Also, I forgot to mention another common syncopa of "12 41" in my explanation of syncopas.  A useful phrase to remember this with is "kiss ME good NIGHT" with an up accent on the words in caps.  The clock equivalent would be 12 3 8 12.

Trini de Pittsburgh