[Tango-L] Fwd: Double time

TimmyTango@aol.com TimmyTango at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 22:32:40 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/21/08 7:01:57 PM Central Standard Time,
jayrabe at hotmail.com writes:

<< Isn't it that if he dances on the 12 & 3, he's doing the synchopa? If he
dances on the 6 and the 6, he's dancing synchopated.

Pablo Aslan, the bass player from Avantango, and The New York - Buenos Aires
Connection
explained it to me as
stepping on the 1, or the 2, or the 3, or the 4 would be double time
In tango and milonga we step on the 1 and the 3. The down beat.
Accent on the 1

Stepping on the 2 and the 4 are the up beats
In milonga there is a mark between the 2 and the 3. Sycopa
or said a different way a 1/4 note

I like to tell my students a sycopa is a
Quicker, quick, slow step
not a quick, quick, slow step

To many people dance slows and quick's (whole notes and half notes)
but never 1/4 notes, which we all need to do for a sycopa

   1      2   ,   3     4

Timmy in Cleveland<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>One site keeps you connected
to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)</HTML>