[Tango-L] Double time

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 18:58:11 EST 2008

--- On Sun, 12/21/08, Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:
> Good explanation. My explanation is based on how a man sets
> up ochos. He does a double time step to get onto the SAME
> foot as the woman. In syncopated rhythm, instead of ONLY the
> man dancing double time, BOTH partners dance double time so
> there is no change between parallel (same foot) and cross
> (opposite foot) dancing.

That's just both partners dancing double-time, not syncopated.  I believe your usage reflects the different uses of the word "syncopated" in the dance and music worlds.  I've found it much more useful to use the music definition instead of a dance definition that I think comes from ballroom.  I've noticed that teachers with ballroom backgrounds tend to use syncopated as synonymous with double-time, perhaps because ballroom music isn't as complex as tango music (to my ear, anyway).

Let's imagine a clock with the rhythm going in a continuous circle around the clock - around and around it goes.  If the rhythm only strikes at the 12, then it is single-time.

If the rhythm strikes at 12, 6, and 12, then the rhythm is double-time.  Suppose the man changes weight at 12 & 6 for backward ochos (stepping out for the ocho when the rhythm strikes 12 again), then he is doing double-time.

If, however, the man changes his weight at 12 & 3, and steps out for the ocho at 12, then he is dancing a syncopated rhythm.

Trini de Pittsburgh