[Tango-L] Tango the Religion

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:59:40 EST 2008

I too have puzzled over this religious fervor.  If one looks for example at Lindy Hop, another
street dance with no ruling body, it passed through the "style wars" (Savoy vs. Hollywood vs. West
Coast Swing vs. ..) in a matter of several years.  Many of the dancers have preferences, and some
of the Westies will say that the Lindy Hoppers are too bouncy and the Lindy Hoppers will say that
the Westies dance like they have a pole up their b&tt. However, many of the best swing dancers can
do it all and enjoy it all, and nearly all swing dancers are accepting of one another in a way that
I don't see among some of the tango dancers, especially some of those on this list.

I agree with Amaury that it says far more about the defenders of truth and justice than it does about the dance itself.

David