[Tango-L] dull, dull, dull (Mario)

caroline runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:29:04 EDT 2008

I am violating my own solemn promise never to post to Tango-L again but
after reading this post by Mario, well, sometimes one just can't keep
their mouth shut.

Mario,

I could tell right off the bat
after reading your post that you have not been dancing the tango for a
long time. If I'm correct, you've started this year or thereabouts.

Mario, classes being the venue of the future? God forbid. Sorry but reading that made me shudder.

The
first year I was learning the tango, I put all the importance into
classes and practicas, dancing with one inexperienced leader after
another, not knowing that I was actually going backwards, not forward.
My entire focus was on technique, not music nor succumbing to the
spirit of tango. I spent much of my time fighting to maintain my axis
and balance while being awkwardly led through giros and one gancho
after another...feeling my love for tango fading.

It was only
when I stopped classes and practicas and went to milongas only that I
finally learned to ditch all the bad habits picked up from classes and
rather overly opined beginner leaders in practicas that I discovered
what Real Tango is.

Mario, give it more time before you start
your thesis. You're only on the brink of discovering what Real Tango
is. I love that you are enthusiastic about this, fabulous, wonderful,
but you are still at the beginning, give it time before you make
absolute theories because I promise you, your opinions and ideas will
change and change yet again, altered and shaped and molded by each
forthcoming experiences. You will eventually shed the training wheels
of practicas and classes as you get better and more confident and ept
enough to coordinate all that you need to do as a leader and your
desire to analyze and talk tango technique will diminish as it will all
become second nature, and your only thoughts will be to get up and
share the love and emotion of the music with a lovely lady in your
arms.

Everything is so seemingly complicated in the beginning,
but it gets simpler and simpler as all the pieces fall into place in
your subconscious.

Tango classes being the venue of Real Tango in the future...can't get over that. Banish the thought.