[Tango-L] some DJ questions (previously Melina?s_DJing_Primer)

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Aug 19 09:51:43 EDT 2008

victor bennetts <victor.bennetts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1. Many tandas have a stand out track like a Cafà Dominguez(D'Agostino), El Recodo(Biagi), El Adios(Donato) etc.
> At first I always put these tracks as the last in a tanda, but in dancing to them (and listening to the tandas in the car :-))

The ABBA approach (not the Swedish group ...) is used by many DJ's. The
"A" tracks are the ones you called standout--recognizable popular ones.
The "B" (not necessarily B-grade at all since there is so much A-grade
material to choose from) tracks are where you can play others by the
same orchestra and mood, but lesser known ones, perhaps, or not as
"defining." For sure you can play with this rule, but you can't go wrong
sticking with it. The reason for also having it at the end is basically
"to keep them wanting more."

> Some I just can't bring myself to play at all like Fresedo, Firpo, Piazzolla, Basso, Sassone. Apart from these I also have put together tandas
> from Biagi, Canaro, D'agostino, D'arienzo, Demare, Di Sarli, Laurenz, Lomuto, Pugliese ;-), Rodriguez, Tanturi and Triolo (hereafter 'the usual suspects').
> Is there anyone else I should be collecting?

Can't disagree with you on Firpo, Piazzolla, Basso (though there is one
"La Cumparsita" of his that I sometimes use at the end) and Sassone
(Tango elevator music). Fresedo is very much in the canon of
"standards," however (make sure you are listening to 1940s Fresedo):
instrumentals, as well as vocals with Roberto Ray and Ricardo Ruiz.

Additional ones ... off the top of my head, De Angelis (valses with
Dante & Martel are classics) and newer instrumentals (Pavadita, etc.,
though I'm somewhat tired of them).

> 3. Where do I find good Nuevo (i.e. Neo/Alternative/Electronica)? I apply a simple test to all the music of 'would I like to dance to it'
> and I can't say much Nuevo/Alternative passes that test.

No it doesn't. :-)

> So my NuevoÂtandas consist ofÂOtros Aires, a couple of the Gotan tracks, and a couple of the Bajofondo Tango Club tracks.
> I also have a tanda of 'To Tango Tis Nefelis', 'Pa'l Que Se Va',Â'MilongueroÂdel Ayer' and 'Toca Tango' that goes down well.

That's pretty much along the lines of what I end up with (some of
exactly the same tracks as above, in fact). The trap to avoid is the so
called "alternative tanda" which is music that is not even remotely
Tango, that seems to be an unfortunate trend (not yet in Buenos Aires,
fortunately) these days. In the hands of a really experienced DJ who has
established himself with the classics, a tanda or so MAY work since it
would have been more carefully selected. Generally, though, the only
person who thinks its great to dance to is the DJ (because it was some
favourite pop song from his childhood, for example)--spoils the mood
more often than not.

> 4. Milonga tandas, should they be three tracks or four? I started out playing four tracks but does not seem to go down so well as three tracks.

Well, I do four almost always, but I have to admit that the trend these
days seems to be to do 3. Even in Buenos Aires (where I always remember
Milonga and Vals tandas being four several years ago), many places are
playing 3.

My reasons are: Well, I like milongas and valses so even though I'm not
dancing if I'm DJing, I admit to "projecting" a bit. :-) Most Milongas
and Valses are on the short side, anyway. In a Buenos Aires Milonga, I
would always play 4 since many people are starting into the 2nd and even
3rd piece of the Milonga, and then it's just way too short. Outside of
Buenos Aires, where people are starting on the first song usually, and
in many communities Milonga and Vals may not be as well known or taught,
there's certainly a case for 3.

You say you're just starting out with DJing--I think you've got all the
right instincts. Good luck!

Shahrukh