[Tango-L] some DJ questions (previously Melina?s_DJing_Primer)

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Tue Aug 19 09:11:45 EDT 2008

Hello Victor,

you wrote:

1. Many tandas have a stand out track ...
At first I always put these tracks as the last in a tanda, ...
I decided that is actually a bit too predictable. I observed that
actually I get better results when I put the tracks first or at least
mix
the strong tracks so they are first sometimes and last other times.
<<

A tanda needs a good choreography. I figure there can be wildly
different approaches to building good tandas. Sometimes when I build a
tanda I build it around one particular song, other times around a
specific singer (still one and the same orchestra - I don´t mix them),
or I build one specifically to fit in well with the previous one, or
pave the way for the next. After all, even if people don´t dance a
tanda, they still hear it, and it will affect their mood.
Mostly I will use a well-known or at least very powerful and danceable
track first, so people want to get up and dance, and they have a sense
they know what they´re getting themselves into. Once that is achieved,
I can play with the energy, based on that first track. It will lead to
the second major track, which is the last one. Whether the first or the
last one are the "stand out track" can vary, and often it will be
different for different listeners/dancers. The point is that each track
in a tanda has a specific function, a job to do. The final one must
wrap up the experience of that specific tanda.

In recent weeks I decided that actually it is best to treat the two
adjacent tango tandas
as related (VTTMTT) and keep a consistent mood across them. So now I
have eight tracks to play around with.
<<

All tandas are related, and adjacent ones especially, by the overall
choreography you´re going for. I still treat each tanda as a mostly
closed entity - it has to work for the dancer who dances this one
tanda, then sits down again, not dancing the next one. If you manage
both this as well as there being some nice interplay between tandas -
perfect. Just don´t try to be too clever, you´ll just be disappointed
if nobody "gets the joke", and maybe it will even be annoying for
people.

Some I just can't bring myself to play at all like Fresedo, Firpo,
Piazzolla, Basso, Sassone.
<<

No argument from me except that I sometimes play a tanda of Firpo (very
rarely, and usually milonga), and that I can see how one might get
bored with Fresedo/Ray after a while. I rediscovered Fresedo at some
point, and found some extremely pretty things under that particular
rock. Give the man another chance. Maybe try Tigre Viejo, Mariposita,
Derecho Viejo, Pimienta.

  So my NuevoÂtandas consist ofÂOtros Aires, a couple of the Gotan
tracks, and a couple of the Bajofondo Tango Club tracks.
<<

I couldn´t get myself interested enough to explore Bajofondo yet, but I
am guilty of having played Gotan (though not for some time now) and
Otros Aires - their milongas, which are real milongas after a fashion.

4. Milonga tandas, should they be three tracks or four? I started out
playing four tracks but does not seem to go down so well as three
tracks.
<<

I prefer three. I find four a bit much, but I know good DJs who play
four, and I can live with it. I also play vals tandas of three only,
btw.

Have fun with your DJing,
Andreas