[Tango-L] Melina?s_DJing_Primer

Pat Petronio petronio at adam.com.au
Fri Aug 15 20:38:36 EDT 2008

It has been very interesting to observe the reactions to Melina's essay on DJing.

Surely the intention of her essay was to share some general guidelines on structuring the music for a milonga - particularly useful for budding or inexperienced DJs. Like most creative undertakings there will be differences of approach based on any number of influences. However one needs a starting point.  I think Melina's essay certainly provides that. Other DJs, such as Stephen and Susan Brown from Tejastango, have also shared their practical advice. Such writings help to guide newbies, perhaps confirm DJ practice, provoke us as DJs to reflect on our choices .... as well as stimulate experimentation - because we are all different in our approaches and musical preferences.

Finally, I see these writings as one of several vehicles for increasing appreciation - amongst the dancers - of the music presented for milongas. Usually dancers will quickly feel when the music is working or not working. Such articles help to provide them, and the DJ, with an understanding of why that might be so.

Thank you Melina, and others, who go to the trouble of sharing your experience with the tango community.

Patricia Petronio
Tango Salón Adelaide
www.tangosalonadelaide.blogspot.com