[Tango-L] Boleos - back and front

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:53:16 EDT 2008

Tom Stermitz wrote:

>> The basic boleo is (usually) a spiral at
>> the waist, that results in the supporting leg pivoting and the loose
>> leg floating behind and perhaps wrap before coming around to the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUV2QwmflY

First few seconds.  Liz is lead to spiral at the waist, her leg does float behind and then wraps around front, and then
she is lead to settle onto her left foot.    A front boleo???  A front ocho???  Simply a cross??

I thought that the root of boleo meant to to throw or to launch.  A bowling alley is a bolera.  I was under the
impression that a "whipping" action, or the appearance of such, whether lead fast or slowly, was integral to a boleo.

If the word is actually voleo, I thought that the english cognate was related to "volley", meaning to hit in the air.
Again, not a simple spiral, but a more enthusiastic action.

help?

David