[Tango-L] How to lead volcadas

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 16:49:13 EDT 2008

Tom, you're just brilliant.  You had me rolling on the floor laughing.
Until just now, I never understood exactly what I couldn't stand about
those early tango lessons.  These moves are truly the opera bouffe of
the Tango Borg.

You reminded me of Milan Kundera's philosophy of kitsch (not just that
kitschy culture is sentimental and facile but that the prevalence of
kitsch in art is a form of totalitarianism imposing a sanitized view of
culture in which all answers are already known before the question is
asked, and in which complexity, irony and ambiguity are precluded.
That's an interesting read on the reasons for the development of the
highly regimented and sanitized 'ballroom' tango (kitschy) out of the
murky, beautiful, and improvisational Argentine Tango.

Certain community leads know me from those days and they're gonna lead
that stuff and expect compliance, and unfortunately I can't play dumb
like some of these sweet younger things.  Now I know what to say,
"that's so 1995, I really don't even remember it."

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC