[Tango-L] Social Tango

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 08:53:34 EDT 2008

Joe,

While I appreciate many of your points in the first part of your post, I have a differing opinion on the latter half.  You may not be thinking that you dance a style, but in reality you do dance a style, so it's fair for people to ask or to classify what you do.  Although dance styles are somewhat flexible, there are some characteristics that distinguishes them from each other.  If you want to use the dog analogy, there are standards that define breeds ("best of breed").  But breeds can mix and new breeds can develop.  I've only had mutts for pets, but I can appreciate purebreds.

Personally, I find it much easier to find a connection with someone if I know beforehand what style they dance or what they prefer.  Otherwise, we can waste a good bit of the tanda trying to find a comfortable zone.  As for those who feel they need to ask or comment first, I'd just chalk it up to their not knowing yet that they are supposed to watch the dancers before asking/accepting a dance.

Trini de Pittsburgh