[Tango-L] Criticizing other style dancers

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 20:34:53 EDT 2008

Lois asks:

"So, if that is true that only Close Embrace people criticize, why is it that Traditional tango, Nuevo, canyengue people don't criticize people who dance in close? Are they just so much more tolerant? Is there nothing to complain about? (BTW, I've heard some of my favorite dancers derisively called "floor walkers" because they prefer close."

Some possible explanations:

In Argentina in general, tangueros are conscious that everyone has his own style and they respect each others idiosyncrasies. They get upset with those that use too much space, or bump into other couples. Mostly foreign visitors, because most Argentine beginners do not dance at the milongas till they know how to navigate the floor.

In the USA, in great part due to indoctrination by itinerant instructors, dancers of milonguero style have been very critical and intolerant of people that dance differently.

I use to discuss  these topics for days, members that were the most dogmatic and argumentative remain silent now, due to one thing :  videos in youtube can prove that they are wrong very easily. Time may have made them a little wiser as well.

The beginner milonguero dancer knows how to navigate the floor and does not disturb anyone around them. He is not going to show off, .  He can dance in any corner without any problem, therefore he cannot dance out of place.

The beginner dancer of other styles,   if poorly instructed in the art of using the floor without disturbing other dancers, can be a big problem;  originating all sort of criticism not only from the Milonguero style dancer but also from the ones that dance the same style they do.

Trini brought up something extremely important in leadin:  The proper time to start and to end the lead.

Best regards, Sergio